Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Orange Slice Progress Update

Orange Slice started off as a project to get me out of a sewing slump.  I started sewing drunkards' path blocks without a plan for where I was headed until I arrived here!   (Read more about the process of quilt top creation.) 

Although my original thought was to make each clamshell a different quilting motif, I ended up with a simplification by making each colorway a different motif.  This was much more manageable for my brain!  So far, I've got 6 different motifs, 5 of which were done with a walking foot.    (Ignore all those threads that have not yet been dealt with.)

The back of the quilt really shows off the quilting.  The pebble was the most tedious of the design choices.  I like the way it looks but it is a lot of work!

Have a wonderful day! Patty


  1. Pebbles are definitely a lot of work but boy do I love the texture they create! I would have probably simplified down to a motif for each color, too; I think that's a really smart choice. And how wonderful to see it all showing up so nicely on the back!

  2. I admire you for taking on this custom quilting effort. It's always a bit of a challenge to figure out WHAT to quilt, and it seems you've come up with just the right formula for making multiple designs. Overall, I really like your clamshells and will encourage you to keep going! Great work!

  3. What an amazing quilting it will be! And great idea to block the design by color. xo


Thanks for visiting Elm Street Quilts. Looking forward to hearing from you!