- Carefully mark your stitching lines. If you've got a unit that doesn't quite measure 4 1/2'' (looking at you Twisted Triangle in a Square), cut a 4'' square from template plastic and trace it on the wrong side of the unit to place your stitching line. Pin units together along stitching lines to make sure your unit with the 'scant' seams lines up with the unit with the true 1/4'' seam
- The unit with the most seams goes on top. This allows you to stitch through all those seam allowances.
- Carefully lay out the units and double check against the pattern illustration. It is easy to get a block misplaced. Removing stitches is never fun but somehow removing handwork - while easier than stitches from a machine - is more painful!
It is time to share your Corner Units! Whether you’ve got one Corner Unit sewn, all four for a wall hanging or sixteen for a throw quilt, gather them up and share a photo! If you’ve already sewn the Corner Units into a Harmony block, share a photo of the block.
This link-up will be open until midnight, Sunday, April 11. Not quite done with a Corner Unit? No worries - our second check-in link-up will open on April 26! The Grand Prize link-up for your final quilt top link-up (quilted or just a flimsy) opens May 17 and closes at the end of June.
Our fabulous sponsors have provided wonderful, useful prizes that you are going to love! Kristin and I use all of these great products regularly!
- Aurifil is the most popular thread in the quilting industry. Available in many different thread weights and dozens of colors, the superior, long staple cotton thread boasts high tensile strength and a wonderful silky touch. They are providing an 80 weight thread pack called Calm, in beautiful neutral colors to one lucky winner.
- The Daylight Company brings daylight indoors with their innovative and functional lamps in the art, needlework, craft, low vision, and beauty markets. They are generously offering a MAGnificent magnifying lamp and a Smart Travel Lamp to two lucky winners.
- Fat Quarter Shop offers a tremendous selection of fabric, notions, books and just about anything you will need for your project. Fat Quarter Shop is offering a $30 gift certificate to one lucky winner.
- Oliso reinvents products that surprise, delight and simplify life including the Oliso Mini Project Iron™ which brings you the power of a full size iron in a compact design for home and away. Oliso is offering a Mini Project Iron™ to two lucky winners.
Photos can be shared from a blog, Flickr, or Pinterest and must include a link to Elm Street Quilts or Simple Handmade Everyday. Photos can also be shared via a public Instagram and must contain the tag #handpiecedqal and/or #harmonyhpqal
Don't have a way to share? You can also email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Need instructions on how to link-up? See the tutorial!
Units shared must follow the guidelines below to be eligible to win a prize.
We hope you take a few minutes to visit others and make new friends!
Please note - sharing a photo in the link-up gives Elm Street Quilts and Simple Handmade Everyday permission to feature a photo of your block on their sites. Full attribution will be given.
Units must be entirely hand-pieced.
Units must visually match the Corner Unit in the Harmony Hand Pieced QAL pattern. (If you’ve already assembled the Harmony block and don’t have a photo of just the corner unit, share a photo of your Harmony block.)
Units can be made a different size.
Multiple corner units created by one quilter should be shared in a single photo.
Winners will be chosen randomly and notified via email. Winners have 72 hours to claim their prize - if we don't hear back, we will draw another name. Once winners have claimed their prize, this post will be updated with the winner's names.